Dexamethasone sodium phosphate injection is generally administered initially in a dosage of 10 mg intravenously followed by four mg every six hours intramuscularly until the symptoms of cerebral edema subside. Response is usually noted within 12 to 24 hours and dosage may be reduced after two to four days and gradually discontinued over a period of five to seven days. For palliative management of patients with recurrent or inoperable brain tumors, maintenance therapy with 2 mg two or three times a day may be effective.
In acute, self-limited allergic disorders or acute exacerbations of chronic allergic disorders, the following dosage schedule combining parenteral and oral therapy is suggested:
Dexamethasone sodium phosphate injection, first day , 4 or 8 mg intramuscularly.
Dexamethasone tablets, 0.75 mg: second and third days, 4 tablets in two divided doses each day; fourth day , 2 tablets in two divided doses; fifth and sixth days, 1 tablet each day; seventh day, no treatment; eighth day, follow-up visit.
This schedule is designed to ensure adequate therapy during acute episodes, while minimizing the risk of overdosage in chronic cases.
Parenteral drug products should be inspected visually for particulate matter and discoloration prior to administration, whenever the solution and container permit.
NDC: 50090-4567-0 10 mL in a VIAL
- Cavanagh, D.; Singh, K.B.: Endotoxin shock in pregnancy and abortion, in: “Corticosteroids in the Treatment of Shock”, Schumer, W.; Nyhus, L.M., Editors, Urbana, University of Illinois Press, 1970, pp. 86-96.
- Dietzman, R.H.; Ersek, R.A.; Bloch, J.M.; Lilleheir, R.C.: High-output, low-resistance gram-negative septic shock in man, Angiology 20: 691-700, Dec. 1969.
- Frank, E.: Clinical observations in shock and management (in: Shields, T.F., ed.: Symposium on current concepts and management of shock), J. Maine Med. Ass. 59: 195-200, Oct. 1968.
- Oaks, W. W.; Cohen, H.E.: Endotoxin shock in the geriatric patient, Geriat. 22: 120-130, Mar. 1967.
- Schumer, W.; Nyhus, L.M.: Corticosteroid effect on biochemical parameters of human oligemic shock, Arch. Surg. 100: 405-408, Apr. 1970.
Revised: May 2014
| DEXAMETHASONE SODIUM PHOSPHATE |
dexamethasone sodium phosphate injection, solution
|Labeler — A-S Medication Solutions (830016429)|
|A-S Medication Solutions||830016429||RELABEL (50090-4567), REPACK (50090-4567)|
Revised: 10/2019 A-S Medication Solutions
RxDrugLabels.com provides trustworthy package insert and label information about marketed prescription drugs as submitted by manufacturers to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Package information is not reviewed or updated separately by RxDrugLabels.com. Every individual prescription drug label and package insert entry contains a unique identifier which can be used to secure further details directly from the U.S. National Institutes of Health and/or the FDA.